Thursday, February 17, 2011

Marathon Wannabe

There are two new truths in my life. 1. I can no longer eat whatever I want and 2. My workout mojo is easily lost when I don't have a goal in mind. Can you believe it?! I was shocked, too!

I have had this image of myself. I was a totally dedicated runner that would eat, sleep, and breathe track and all included, including healthy eating.

Correction: I used to be a totally dedicated runner.

Well now track is over, and what's left is the admittance (and SHOCK) that I LOVE desserts (and would really have a hard time giving up...so I refuse!),  no longer have the metabolism of my former 19 year old self, and often choose to watch reruns of Glee over going for a run. Uhh...Who have I turned into?

So this is me trying to get my mojo back. I spent the fall after my track "retirement" running many 5k and 10k races, that I found I could do with little training, so I would. Can you say slacker?! Yes, that is me. And that was my Fall:
Monday: Yoga
Tuesday: 20 minute jog
Wednesday: Dairy Queen and oops...too late to go to the gym.
Thursday: Grey's Anatomy and pizza.
Friday: Too tired, so I'll do some push-ups.
Saturday: 10K
Sunday: burger and fries! What? I ran a 10k yesterday, don't I deserve this?
Hence, the pitfall.

I was in complete denial, telling myself I was still serious about running. Oh, Megan...you make me laugh.

Well, 10 pounds later, I realized I needed a change.

Hence #2, the marathon!

Why a marathon you might ask?

First, I needed a BIG challenge. I learned about myself that I need a race or something to look forward to to motivate myself to be in any kind of shape at all. And 5ks or 10ks once a month just wasn't cutting it. A marathon is scary...and so far has been scaring me enough to get my running shoes (and running pants that are a bit too tight these days) on everyday, whether Glee is on or not, and just go run.

Second, I never thought I would run a marathon, so I just upped and signed up. I was a sprinter in college, and rarely ran a race that was longer than a minute. For myself I want to do this, to say that I did and I can, and to show others around me that I did, and maybe they can do something they never thought they could.

And third, I still LOVE to run. Plain and simple. (And now I do...a lot). 

So this is my journey. And new focus of my blog.
The countdown begins: 165 days until my first 26.2.

No comments:

Post a Comment